Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A "Tuesdays With Morrie" Moment on Tuesday

Yesterday, I flipped open my copy of Tuesdays with Morrie.

I highly recommend this inspirational read. It's about a dying professor who holds a weekly meeting with his former student and teaches him lessons of life.

I like to do this. Open books up now and again and just take a message from whatever that random page offers.

I opened the section "We talk about a perfect day."

In Morrie's case, it starts off with exercises and sweet rolls. No rushing around doing chores or fretting about calories or fat content. At that point, he was bedridden and limited in what he could eat.

From there, he'd invite his friends over and spend the afternoon chatting and laughing. Then he'd take a walk, admiring the colors and sounds of nature. Hard to do when you're strapped to machines and confined inside a room.

Finally, he'd have a fabulous restaurant dinner of his favorite food with friends, specifically pasta and duck. He'd dance the rest of the night away.

I love Morrie's perfect day.

Exercise, food, friends, nature, more food and friends, and dancing. There's absolutely no reason why I can't live this day every day.

A perfectly healthy day. What would that mean to you?

8 comments:

Chris and Amy said...

I'm starting my perfect day right now with an 11 mile run with one of my best friends. :)

Mary and Sean said...

That's what I'm talking about! Way to go, Amy!

Becca said...

Aww...I love this. Am in such a sappy mood today, and this just makes me want to throw a big old pina colada pool party complete with floating islands and friends all telling funny stories about each other :) How random...

And I have never read this book! you have so many great reading recommends!

My Hotel Life said...

Mary, I hosted and planned Mitch Albom's wedding at Peter Island in the British Virgins where I used to work. He is a terrific human being. Very down to earth.

Mary and Sean said...

My Hotel Life,
That's very cool! You have awesome connections to people!

Steve said...

I like Tuesdays with Morrie too. I haven't picked it up in awhile though. I know what it is like to pick up a book and just flip through it. Sometimes that is just the pick me up that I need.

Claire said...

love the book. my perfect day looks much like his-enjoying the outdoors, some great food, accompanied by great friends-all taking place preferably in another country! ending the day with a snuggle with my sweetie ;)

Avery said...

Great post. I just came to the point in my life, a month ago read Tuesday with Morrie again. It really inspired me and well, put me in the state of mind that this post is in. Very nice.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin