Monday, August 24, 2009

I'm Probably the Last to Know...


Some days living abroad can seem-- well-- isolated and out of the loop. Okay, there, I've said it. Do any of you relate?

In Okinawa especially, while I do genuinely appreciate Obon drumming and Eisa dancing, I often do feel deprived in terms of independent films, fashion, popular culture, but most of all, music from back home!

We do have an English radio program here and I'll admit that Lady GaGa is catchy, but come on! All the time?

This feeling of being out of the know isn't new for me. When I was in the Peace Corps in Africa from 94-96, I missed out on all kinds of radical popular culture happenings in the states... some of the big ones include the whole Friend's sitcom explosion, the proliferation of the internet, and Starbucks! These things mark my generation somehow, and I was wholly unaware of them for two whole years...

Luckily now, we do have the Internet so we're not completely cut off, but some times I still feel detached from things going on at home.

Recently, I made this little discovery. It's not exactly mainstream popular culture, but oh so satisfying, new, and fresh to me. It's "Song of the Day" on NPR, and I have to say, it's my little indulgence. I look forward to hearing the new selection as soon as I wake up in the morning.

Listen for yourself: NPR Song of the Day

How do you get your musical or artistic outlet while you're traveling or living abroad?

10 comments:

Liza said...

I feel out of the loop too, and it's only been a year. I unfortunately don't have a musical outlet here. I barely listen to AFN radio and just have my (old) CDs and iPod on repeat. But I love it here!

Reese said...

Hiya! I feel out of the loop all the time living in Southern Italy. Most of my friends from home are surprized by my stories living here.

I think this is normal in terms of how you feel. There are many days when I feel isolated from where I am. Having ex-pat friends help. Although, I find that everyone is transient and they don't ever stay for long. So, I try to enjoy every minute of my time with friends who are here.

Blogging also helps a lot. It's my new found passion and friend.

Reese

Share the Love!

http://rambleswithreese.blogspot.com

http://fortiteretfideliter.wordpress.com

Anil said...

My younger sister is my connection to pop culture but I'm still mostly out of the loop!

SVV said...

While living in Sicily I would tune into the local pop music stations or scanned the am/fm dial until I found something interesting. Also, I would get an International Herald Tribune when I could find them. There's something much more tangible about words you can hold in your hand, crumble up, or start a fire with. :-) Also, streaming Internet radio from a local station from back in the states helped if I was really feeling the homesick bug.

dfu said...

Hey Mary,

Don't know if you are a Channel 933 fan, but you can stream the radio via internet:
http://www.channel933.com/main.html

I know some people listen to the morning show this way.

(PS this is Mika, not David)

Mary and Sean said...

Liza,
we definitely have reached our AFN limit too!

Mary and Sean said...

Reese,
I agree that the blogging really helps. It's such a fun hobby and creative outlet. I never understood that until recently but I sort of can't imagine my life without it now!

Mary and Sean said...

Anil,
It's to have a family member who can fill you in with all the good stuff you miss...

Mary and Sean said...

SVV,
Like you, I think I really do miss getting the printed word! We have access to magazines and things like that, but I'd love a thick Sunday paper with coupons and a lifestyle and travel section!

Mary and Sean said...

Mika,
The streaming internet radio is sort of becoming my lifeline here...I can't believe I didn't really take advantage of it until now...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin